About WiNEZ

WiNEZ was a monthly event at EZ Street Saloon in South Range, WI. Unfortunately, due to lower turn out the owners had decided to stop hosting the event. The last wine night at EZ was held on November 12, 2014. But that is not to say the die hards won't be getting together for some wine tasting periodically at EZ Street Saloon. I will continue to blog the wines we have tasted pre starting this blog, along with our impromptu meetings, and maybe transform the blog into something more personal. We will see where it goes. I do know the blog will still be about wine!

So for my WiNEZ pals you can count on this blog to serve as an archive of what was consumed and a reference for your spending sprees. For those who are just curious about what the Northwest Wisconsinites are drinking here are some thoughts… but be warned I am by no means a wine expert-I only know what I like. Since I am not an expert I will try to include the winemakers label descriptions as well.

Salute! or as the Finnish would say Kippis!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Last of the February whites-KJ Chardonnay and Piesporter Michelsberg white wine

March wine night is just hours away and I am yet to finish the February reviews. Here are the final two wines from February-Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and Piesporter Michelsberg white wine.

Kendall Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay is one of my favorite Chardonnays. I find the buttery finish easy on the palate. It isconsistent from bottle to bottle so you always know what to expect. It pairs well with seafood, but I also like it with a butter smothered steak and baked potato.

The Piesporter Michelsberg white wine fell pretty low on my totem pole. After trying to find some information on it, I can see why. Thenon-descript label lends no information to the winery/vineyard or to what type of wine it actually is. Here I find that Piesporter Michelsberg is a subregion of Mosel and often produces low qualitywines. http://www.germanwine.net/knowledge/knowident.htm The wine itself was flat, lacking in the sweet sour hints of flavor. I'd leave it before I take it, but it is not undrinkable.

Varietal: Chardonnay
Producer/Importer: Kendall Jackson Vintner’s Reserve
Region: California
Vintage: 2008
Price:
Tasting notes:
Sight (Color/Clarity): robust golden color
Smell (bouquet, aroma):
Taste (acidity, balance, body):
Smooth buttery finish to a semi dry chardonnay. Vanilla hints.
Bottle presentation: Kendall Jackson’s signature label-Makes me think of the cool fall mornings.
Label description: “This Chardonnay bursts with tropical flavors such as mango, papaya and pineapple with citrus notes that explode in your mouth. These flavors delicately intertwine with aromas of green apple and pear to create depth and balance throughout. A hint of toasted oak rounds out the long lingering finish.” —Randy Ullom, Winemaster
Comparisons:
Overall rating (1-10):
8
Date consumed: February 9, 2011
Comments: Consistently a good wine. Pairs well with seafood and steak if you like it smothered in butter.


Varietal: White wine
Producer/Importer: Piesporter Michelsberg
Region: Mosel-Germany
Vintage: 2008
Price:
Tasting notes:
Sight (Color/Clarity): light golden
Smell (bouquet, aroma):
Taste (acidity, balance, body):
light-almost flat, sweet & sour but not very flavorful.
Bottle presentation: non-descript
Label description:
Comparisons:
Overall rating (1-10):
4
Date consumed: February 9, 2011
Comments: Bottle did not indicate the type of wine, nor the winery/vineyard it originates from. A quick search of Piesporter Michelsberg left me to understand that Piesporter Michelsberg is a region which normally produces low quality wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment