About WiNEZ

WiNEZ was a monthly event at EZ Street Saloon in South Range, WI. Unfortunately, due to lower turn out the owners had decided to stop hosting the event. The last wine night at EZ was held on November 12, 2014. But that is not to say the die hards won't be getting together for some wine tasting periodically at EZ Street Saloon. I will continue to blog the wines we have tasted pre starting this blog, along with our impromptu meetings, and maybe transform the blog into something more personal. We will see where it goes. I do know the blog will still be about wine!

So for my WiNEZ pals you can count on this blog to serve as an archive of what was consumed and a reference for your spending sprees. For those who are just curious about what the Northwest Wisconsinites are drinking here are some thoughts… but be warned I am by no means a wine expert-I only know what I like. Since I am not an expert I will try to include the winemakers label descriptions as well.

Salute! or as the Finnish would say Kippis!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February favorite: Apothic Red

Wine night at EZ Street Saloon in South Range, WI completely makes my month. I look forward to this second Wednesday of the month-well all month long. This February’s tastes did not disappoint me. The favorite of the night was a California red blend, Apothic Red created by Boyd Morrison. This Syrah-Zinfandel-Merlot blend starts out sweet- one can really savor the vanilla and black cherry described by the winemakers label. It finishes strong yet smooth like that of a good Merlot. Unfortunately the bottle was consumed before I could spend more time tasting the other flavors of rhubarb, mocha, chocolate, and brown spice boasted about on the label.

Kind of wine: Syrah-Zinfandel-Merlot blend
Producer/Importer: Apothic Red
Region: California
Vintage: 2009
Price: $9-12
Tasting notes:
Sight (Color/Clarity): Deep dark red
Smell (bouquet, aroma): Full sweet mixed berries
Taste (acidity, balance, body): Full, robust, exciting- sweet to start and smooth to finish.
Bottle presentation: The label is classy elegant and a little goth feel (which is why I remember the name of the brand so well)
Comparisons:
Overall rating (1-10): 10
Date consumed: February 9, 2011
Comments: Try this one with desert especially chocolate. It is sure to bring out the sweet tones. EZ wine tasters favorite of the night.
13.1% Alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment